Tuesday, February 17, 2009

In India, a photo can be worth a lot more than 10,000 words

I was just going through some of the pictures from the weekend frisbee game and a few of the pictures stand out. Even though the kids are awesome -- both their spirit and their skills at frisbee -- the ones that I keep thinking about are the ones Dixie took of the children's chaperone and of Rajbhai.


I have mostly avoided snapping pictures of others out of respect. They probably think I'm just another tourist and I'd never want them feeling like a tourist attraction. But Rajbhai, the gentleman we met at the snack stand after our frisbee game, noticed that we had a camera and sheepishly asked if we would take his picture. This isn't the first time we've noticed how meaningful something that is so commonplace for us, such as seeing your own picture, can be for the less fortunate here.

So on my next trip to India, perhaps I'll bring a Polaroid camera and dole out the feel-goods. Yea, it's not improving anyone's health, food security or financial stability...but it is a super easy way to give something memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment